Sign in to follow this  
Mark_AR

XP Home Startup 3 minutes+

I must be blessed....

P4 1.8 Ghz overclocked to 2.3 Ghz

320 M Ram

40 Gig HD

It has worked fine for a year. I built if for a friend.

Last week, she calls me and tells me IE won't load. I go to take a look at it. Nothing out of place. No Viruses or spyware. I ran Spybot, AD-aware and AVG, plus have ZoneAlarm loaded. I locked down the internet just to make sure something wasn't lurking hidden. No unauthorized access requests.

Defraggged the drive. Deleted the prefetch files except for the last 3 days. Checked drive for errors. Deleted temp, cookies and IE cache files.

Notice on bootup that the HD activity light stays on almost all 3 minutes of startup.

Checked registry for stray HKLM RUN commands, runonce... All keys are empty - So is Startup folder on program files.

Ran Bootvis.exe from microsoft... It reports that most everything loads within 35 seconds. Logon and Services start at 35 seconds and ends about 2 minutes.

Tried Bootvis Test with Drivers and computer gets stuck in endless startup loop.. Screen flashes some error message, but I can't read even a few letters of it before it disappears. Have to boot in safe mode and start windows with last known good configuration to get out of endless loop.

I found a copy of the blackviper services and shut off everything according to the 'SAFE' column. I miss BLackvipers website. I hope someone can save the info. It was priceless to me in the past.

Once at the desktop screen after 3 min, clicking on IE icon causes drive activity light to go on and stay lit for 2+ minutes. It seems like it is taking forever for IE to load. You can't do anything including bringing up Taskman while disk activity is on.

The only objects in IE are wupdate and java_runtime 1.4.2 or 3.. I'm writing this all from my fried braincells, so bear with....

Hijack This! reports no big problems.

Once IE loads... I can browse the net normally and fast as usual.

I even loaded Firefox just to see if it was an IE specific problem. Firefox takes less time to load, but still longer than 15-25 seconds. My 1.8 GHZ at home loads in 2 secs.

Tried to overlay XP install CD to repair. Since service pack 2, it won't install without losing all of her data. XP CD says the OS is newer than what is on the CD and halts.

Using System restore to any point in the past nets no difference in performance.

I'm lost... My only thoughts is that something in XP is corrupt. The next step I can take is copying all of her important files to a backup HD and wiping it clean.

My other thought was a bad memory stick, but it doesn't show memory errors. It has to be something in XP. Maybe a bad corrupt swapfile or whatever you call it..?

Any thoughts??? I'm at wits end... Already put 7+ hours in it so she wouldn't lose any data.

Mark_AR

Unfortunately, it sounds like you are right. Backup the critical items and reinstall. You've done some good detective work, but sometimes the patient still doesn't respond.

Start/Run type "sfc /scannow" minus the quotes. Have XP CD handy. Will have to reinstall updates from WU. This will replace any changed or corrupt system files.

If that doesn't work try deletong the swap file and reboot. Windows will auto rebuild it.

If that doesn't work backup/reinstall clean. I reinstall every 2-3 months and have never gone a year on a system I use.

Slipstream SVC pack 2 into your XP CD it can cause problems if installed after the OS but I've seen no problems using a slipstreamed copy.

Slipstreaming SP2 is a good idea. I personally just don't like the time it takes to install after the OS is in place already.

I think this would be a good option for a new Tutorial.

Slipstream SP2 and Add the product key to the installation for an easy OS install. RB?

I didn't slipstream SP2 for the simple fact that my A64 hates it and keeps rebooting. I'll wait for Windows 64.

I didn't slipstream SP2 for the simple fact that my A64 hates it and keeps rebooting. I'll wait for Windows 64.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The fact that you installed it after an install and didn't slipstream it could be a major factor with your problem.

I've seen all over other forums of peeps having SP2 problems until they did a slipstreamed install and then everything worked fine or not in some cases. Theres always an exception to the rule.

Next time you reinstall Windows (in 5 or 6 years! :lol: )try the slipstream first and see how it goes.

lol, actually there is a known bug with a64 systems and sp2. there is a workaround, but i dont feel like buggering up my pc for bill gates at the moment. :)

Thanks for the suggies...

I'll probably get to look at it again tomorrow.

Out of all the things, I completely forgot about 'sfc'

I'll probably just load the tower up and bring it home so I can work on it in my spare time(yeah right) ;)

Thanks for the slipstreaming idea too. I haven't had a chance to look at the links yet, but will see what it takes.

MArk

Did the SFC /scannow

It fixed something. It boots in about 60-70 seconds now.

IE loads in 2 seconds.

There is a big difference, but it is still not 100%. At least it bought her some time to copy her pics and important files to a secondary hard drive. I will do a slipstreamed install of XP when she is done.

I appreciate the help. Thanks Rbreb for reminding me abuot SFC. :D

You are wise... Grasshoppa still have much to learn... ;)

NP, its a handy little command.

NP, its a handy little command.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

wonder if that would help with Media Player constantly crashing when attepmting to play WMV files. :D

Actually I'm wiping everything out, with a clean install of XP.

A clean install should definately solve that problem, as long as you aren't using a Bootlegged version of XP....

I'm not sure what SFC fixed, but I didn't have to do any updates. Hmmm

Also clicking Start- All Programs- Accessories - gts me stuck in a slow spot. It takes 30+ seconds for the accessories navigation menu to show and you have to hold your pointer on it or it disappears and you start over. THat is the biggest complaint now.

Again, it is just a stop-gap measure until a clean install.

Bruceleeon- Had a few minutes to kill, so I figured out what your binary meant.... In ASCII.

Tis true... B)

A clean install should definately solve that problem, as long as you aren't using a Bootlegged version of XP....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol. I've downloaded stuff that requires you to Check the CD Key.

Not that I have a bootlegged copy. ;)

Just a quick question... but when you were over the menu, hovering, was there excessive swapping?

Just out of curiosity... what did you use to scan the drive for errors. One of my "must haves" in my software collection is Spinrite

http://grc.com/spinrite.htm

Very useful and thorough.

and... what do you think of our new look?

Just a quick question... but when you were over the menu, hovering, was there excessive swapping?

Just out of curiosity... what did you use to scan the drive for errors.  One of my "must haves" in my software collection is Spinrite

http://grc.com/spinrite.htm

Very useful and thorough.

and... what do you think of our new look?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, excessive disk activity. IT eventually come up though.

I just used scandisk. Although there is another problem. I tried to delete an empy directory and it said access was denied. I made sure there were no hidden files. Still no go. I could rename the folder, but not delete it. (an old Yahoo! messenger dir)

I'm just waiting for word that all the files have been backed up and I will FDISK and reinstall.

what do you think of our new look?

Much better. Easier on the eyes. THe dark background was OK, but the lighter look is a step up for sure. :)

Update:

Well it finally DIED today. It bought her 3 weeks to get things saved to a slave drive.

On start-up it says.

Missing file

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM

Put CD-ROM in and Select 'R'

Safe Mode won't boot

Recovery Console won't do jack- Some commands work, most do not.

Tried Bootfix - Fails

Can't get SFC to run. Probably because it needs windows to be running.

Can't logon as admin.

Access Denied on all CHDIR Directories so I can't tell what is even missing.

I am about to put it into another XP system as a slave drive just to see if there are any PICTURES that she may have missed and wants to save. I'll burn them to a CDR. Some will be irreplaceable, so this will be the last/only chance she has.

Then it will get re-formatted and I will attempt to do a sliptreamed SP2 install this week. (maybe)

It will be my first attempt at a slipstream disc so if I get too frustrated, I will just go from SP1 to SP2.

Hey mark, do me a favor... If you do slipstream it, write it up. I would like to add that to the articles section of COD!! (always looking for new stuff)

Will do. Might even have the time/motivation for screenshots.

;)