Sign in to follow this  
Mark_AR

Identifying/Decompiling MD-DOS .EXE Files

Is there a way to identify an old DOS program to find out what it was originally written in (aka decompiling) I saw 1 site that wanted $1000 to DC a program.

I converted an EXE to a TXT file so I could look at it. The only identification it has inside that is distinguishable is the following line:

MS run-time library &Copy 1988

Right after it is V;C_FILE_INFO (Maybe Visual C++ or Visual C?) I seriously doubt it was QBasic.

The file was written 1997 by a local guy here which I cannot find anywhere. All I need to do is reverse engineer a single menu to change a couple options and not infringe any copyrights.

Dennis R Eades wrote the program called POWER AUCTION. He used a DBA as YADA Digital Solutions. I cannot find ANY info on this guy or the program, It seems like he just vanished after 1997.

Anyone know a cheaper way to DC or maybe even HEX edit it right on the disk. I'd hate to go the HEXEDIT route since the file is nearly 400k and it would take me a year to 'maybe' hex dump and decrypt the assembly. I Have not done assembly since 8085/8088/6502/ and a little 6510 (1982-84). But never any x86.

I'd invest in Visual C or C++, but I don't think I can do anything without the source code. Leaves me with the $1G option.

Suggies?

I get into more $h!t.....

:sign-oops

Most DOS programs were coded in C++, hell it may even be something simple, just encoded.

This is exactly why i like *nix, as it's not encoded. ;)

I'm seriously thinking about backing away from this project. It seems to be a little 'above' my abilities.

I sort of remember some sort of compiler built into dos. I am straining my braincells to remember a lot of this stuff. It was '*something*2bin' or the like that would convert a file to COM or EXE from QBASIC or ??? :borg I can't recall.

I looked at some C++ code today and it looked greek to me. I'd have to start from learning it from page 1.

I can tell you right now, programming is outside of my scope of knowledge... I remember screwing around with batch files, and editing gorillas and worms for some more lives/power, but when it comes to decompiling and figuring out stuff like that, i just don't have any experience. I remember toying with some programming, but just never got into it... who knows what the future may bring though.