Sign in to follow this  
Mark_AR

DOS/Netware Lite 1.1 Networking Project

I have a couple of REALLY old NIC's lying around.  I will see what i can rummage up.

I've got plenty of NIC's. Trying to find a driver that will work with NWLite1.1 is a chore. NWlite at install will support about 20 cards as of its 1992 release.

I have about 1/2 dozen 3com Etherlink III 3C509B-C (combo BNC/Rj-45) cards. NWLite supports 3com Etherlink II's. (driver for the II won't work for the III)

Most NIC's don't have jumpers(unless they are the old BNC twisted pair type) so they have a software setup program that sets the IRQ and I/O addy. (Like the Novell/Microdyne Eagle NE2000 card)

Most are set to default at IRQ 3 addy 300, so as long as I disable COM 2 in BIOS, I can get away with that, but getting netlite to talk to the card is a different story. I'm combing the 3com(now unsupported 3c509 for DOS) and driverguide sites.

Last driver I tried said I needed a newer version of NWLite or one of its components. IPXODI or LSL - I forget at the moment.

Anywho... It's a puzzle... I'll fit the parts together sooner or later...

:wacko:

Thanks for allowing me to babble-on.

I'm combing the 3com(now unsupported 3c509 for DOS) and driverguide sites.

I finally found it after a broken 3com link took me no-where, so I subtracted part of the url...

and got:

ftp://ftp.3com.com/pub/nic/3c509/ :banana

I used to prefer to work in DOS, but man.... it's been 10 years.....

I'm spoiled with all of the PLug & Play in WIN.

I've thought about trying Linux as a side project. Never know when that may come in handy too. :D

I miss the good ole DOS days. ANSI Graphix, Riptide BBS's, vbasic gorrillas, Telix, and batch files with the CHOICE command.

Man, what happend to the world?!?!?!

I miss the good ole DOS days.  ANSI Graphix, Riptide BBS's, vbasic gorrillas, Telix, and batch files with the CHOICE command.

Man, what happend to the world?!?!?!

:sign-offtopic

Yep. 1994-2000, I had a TriBBS running D'Bridge as my frontend that would pass calls to the BBS or swap news/message packets throughout FIDONET nodes. I tried Renegade, WWIV, (free programs before buying TriBBS)

I used Telix and RipTerm. TriBBS supported RIP grafix in its later versions. Now its all gone.... (I still have all the disks and Nightowl CD's for File areas)

Had to write all sorts of batch files for doorgames, transfer protocols. Didn't have the luxury of the 'Choice' command early in DOS. Had to use ERRORLEVEL with endless GOTO loops until user hit a key.

Way before that (dating myself here), I actually had a Commodore 64 BBS running EBBS @ 1200 then 2400 baud.

Back ON TOPIC:

I've got the SERVER and CLIENT running for the last 24 hours with no errors so far. It just took a lot of looking for the Netcard driver.

My last task is getting good a inkjet parallel printer (that still works). I'm glad there is local auction saturday nite. I might pick one up for a $1 or 2. They go cheap since the ink costs more than the printer does and people won't buy them. :D

Yep. 1994-2000, I had a TriBBS running D'Bridge as my frontend that would pass calls to the BBS or swap news/message packets throughout FIDONET nodes. I tried Renegade, WWIV, (free programs before buying TriBBS)

I ran a Renegade BBS called Shaolin for a while. There were others that I frequented including Watchtower. Z-modem!!! I remember, I was one of the first in my town to have a 14.4. It was given to me by a buddy at At&t.

A friend of mine ran a BBS - TLG - The lone gunman - HPA (hacking phreaking and anarchy). And I used to run into people like Abiguar. Those were the days.

- Back on track... those ole pentium systems make decent firewalls, and decent routers. Other than that... they are good only for old school lottery number generators, calling card number generators, and crap like that.

I have never been to an auction.

I have never been to an auction.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Last week I picked up a Belkin Omniview Pro 8.

Basically its an 8 port 'sweet' KVM switch.

Here is a link to what it looks like:

http://www.kvms.com/nav/item.asp?item=1155

I didn't get the 12V power cord with it. When I get time I'll find a transformer and test it. If its junk, oh well....

I also got a Hewlett Packard J2415A (12 port stackable hub -I think thats all it is-) that has a SNMP Bridge module in the back, but when I power it up it says that there is a -fault- in the bridge module. I have to look on the HP site and see what I can find out.

These are not typical finds, but hey, thats why auctions are kewl.... B)

You know, this topic makes me want to drop DOS 6.3 on one of my HD's and installing Windows 3.1 :P

Heck with DOS 6.3, I liked 6.2 (w/ Doublespace)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah, but I like the hyper gorilla.bas. :D I'd prolly have to edit the speed variable to like 1 or something.

how about some nibbles. :D

You guys are geeks.

You guys are geeks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol. i used to write my own batch scripts, and i thought that was cool, ohh and i played The famous game of World Domination, Risk. :D All on a snazzy 286DX processor. :D

That was the shiznit..

I also recall playing some game called Castle Master, but I can't find it anywhere, not anywhere on the abandonware sites. :(

I remember Might and Magic Clouds of Xeen.

The origional Castle Wolfenstein.

Duke Nukem...

SIMCITY!!!

I remember Might and Magic Clouds of Xeen. 

The origional Castle Wolfenstein.

Duke Nukem...

SIMCITY!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

DNcroz, dnstuff, dnclip. :P

Ohh and simcity was fun back then.

Duke was awesome. I played it all the time.

BBS Doorgames that I loved:

Arrowbridge: (Actually called australia to download this from the author and had one of the first registered copies)

Barren Realms Elite - Miss this war game! Used to be in several national leagues. Also had a local BRE game that wasn't BBS -vs- BBS.

LORD- Legend of the Red Dragon - Now this was as close to D&D you could get. (At the time)

Usurper: Another hack and slash type game.

Older Dos games:

Wolfenstein - Definitely!! I got killed too many times to count. (til I found GOD mode) :D

*sigh* Things you could play on DOS and 4 megs of ram.