Sign in to follow this  
Mark_AR

XP-OS Halts on startup to avoid damage?

This has got me stumped:

Customer Hewlett Packard AMD Athelon 128M ram, Seagate 40 gig XP Home will get to BSOD Windows screen and then HALT to keep from damaging computer. This happens about 60 second into the boot *after* the Windows HOME LOGO.

First thing I had to do is replace the 80 pin IDE cable. It is just out of warranty and they bring it to me after the Son and Uncle have messed with it. Either yanked on the ribbon cable and pulled several conductors loose on the HD terminator.

Won't boot SAFE mode.

Recovery console run from floppy or XP Pro CD will display C:\ but won't run ANY commands. Not even DIR

I can switch to A: but that doesn't help.

Putting drive in another computer as a slave will cause XP to blank screen freeze on bootup after xp logo screen with HARD RESET the only way to get out of it.

Putting drive into DOS machine as a slave won't do anything. DOS FDISK won't read NTFS partition.

Have tried Chkdsk /f and replacing MBR. It won't run either command line in recovery console.

Customer has NO HP restore disk. I'm about ready to wipe the disk and FDISK it, but didn't want to lose what the customer has on it. It is probably already gone.

I think the HD is FUBAR or at least the NTFS MBR is hosed. Without the HP recovery CD, it will be tough to reinstall XP. I can use my XP home but not sure of hardware and drivers. You know how HP likes propietary hardware. I might have to order a new restore disk from HP.

Anyhow... Any suggies?? I've already got 2 hours into it. :(

Thanks

-Mark-

http://www.datapol.de/dpd/freeware/

It will mount NTFS in dos.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks. I tried a reader. It showed info on the partition. Ended up FDISKing it to DOS, then ordering RESTORE CD's from HP. ($23)

After 58 minutes of feeding CD's to this thing, it pukes with a KERNAL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

Recovery partition is shown intact, but working NTFS XP partition is lost somewhere. Got SEAGATE Diagnostic software and tested the drive. Reported several bad sectors.

FOrmatted in NTFS, this 40 gig drive only had 17 gigs available. Sounds to me like one of the read heads hosed.

Anyway. I have a new 40gig Seagate with a 5 Year warranty coming from NewEgg for 51 bux. (Got one for me too!)

If this doesn't fix it, then its the MOBO EIDE controller and the customer won't put anymore money in it.

Just thought I would give the 411 so far.

THanks for listening to me 8!tch! :censored

Mark_AR

most install error's are memory issues.

did you do a low level format from another PC?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've tried several options. I tried just putting it in an XP Pro machine as a Slave and the machine would only partially boot and hang at a black screen somewhere before the 'Welcome' screen.

I put it in a DOS 6.22 machine to FDISK it the last time and remove all DOS and NON-DOS partitions. No formatting whatsoever.

With the drive being empty, The HP recovery CD's successfully created the NTFS restore partition, but then when it went to create the main user partition and format it, I got that funky error. I went the route of a possible memory error also and swapped out the 128MB SD-RAM for a 256MB. After another 58 minutes of re-feeding 7 CD's, it did the same thing.

It still seems to be the HD. If not, its gotta be on the MOBO itself.

I am beginning to really despise HP. :fingers

It still seems to be the HD. If not, its gotta be on the MOBO itself.

I am beginning to really despise HP. :fingers

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ITs official. It was the Hard Drive. Once the New Seagate HD was plugged in, it took 42 minutes to completely install to the Win XP desktop screen. Its been running for about 30 hours with all updates in place.

TIme to ship it out and move on to the next one. :D

I appreciate the assistance. :sign-rockon

You should invest in Spin Rite

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I used 'Seatools'. Seagates own drive utility to verify drive integrity. It PASSED all the tests. (Which I could not understand)

I'll look into Spin Rite. It's 90 bux, but it would have saved me 3 or 4 hours of head scratching.

OT:

My next project is to get 2 P100's running DOS 6.22/Netware Lite 1.1 so they can be networked into a small business application. Its tough finding DOS drivers for ISA net cards nowadays.... The customer won't upgrade their original software, so I have to backward build this setup... *wheeeee*

I have a couple of REALLY old NIC's lying around. I will see what i can rummage up.