ThePaladinTech

Crown Minimum Idea - Growth

OK so I got on and it looks like our emperor TheBBQKid is looking for ideas on how to effectively raise the bar for membership in LO3 without (and I quote) "becoming crown snobs"

The topic was presented by SubLimedThree95 and bounced around. topic was discussed by UnfadingTube, WizardO8, and DryCrown - I showed up at the end when it was requested someone post... So without further ado....

1, Upping minimum crowns or reducing days since last attack (without an excuse)
2. bottom 10 shims need to raise crowns by xx% in a week
3. kick #50 on an ongoing basis? (Like LO2?)
4. Higher minimums but grandfather existing shims?
5. Kick bottom two and have a XXX crown limit to JOIN?
6. Define a crown minimum for each age (age 4 needs a min of xx crowns age 8 needs a min of yy crowns)

Also mentioned was the LordBoomPeppy situation, and alt accounts. I think the gist of that (and all of this) is that we want active members, so Alt accounts are welcome as long as they are active. and that it is up to Peppy if shim wants to keep three accounts going, but shim should by no means feel obligated to do so.

BTW- if you have another idea please post it!

Edited by ThePaladinTech

OK so with that my thoughts :)

Right now I am really struggling to make much headway with my crowns. I think I am currently down 20-40 crowns from my high. I'm trying to stay at age 6 until I can build up my defenses for age 7. I *so* rushed through the ages up until this point. I don't know if that is normal or not. But I know the world changes once you hit age 7 and beyond. I *just* discovered the historical campaigns ... I didn't know they were effectively free training opportunities. and boy do I stink at them so far! Maybe I need to bite the bullet and save up for Age 7, but I think if I do then I am just postponing the inevitable? And that is the need to become a BETTER player -  Throwing more troops at an enemy is not becoming a better player... Seems like there is no time like the present to begin that goal.

Some of the choices will certainly allow for keeping a slot or two open for new players. but it seems only choices 4, 5 and 6 pretty much guarantee honoring the existing active members of LO3.   

As for choice 6 - While I like it, it has it's own unique problem. That being that we can't put that in the alliance banner, it's simply too much info for the limited space there. and the alliance banner is what a potential new member will look at (hopefully) before joining.

personally I'd like #4 to be a part of whatever choice is made

For me,

I think booting inactives should be enough to make it work.  I don't think a 100 crown limit is unreasonable - it sorta sets the bar at "I get how to play this game now."  Finally, exceptions could and should be made in special cases, as Emperor BBQ would see fit.  That is, an active member who is below a crown limit. 

More complicated systems would require more effort on the part of the leadership.  Checking on all the members' activity *and* crown gains...

Cheers,

-OGG/MAG

Thanks for posting this for us PaladinTech. It was a good discussion and we needed to talk about this here instead of chat to give everyone a chance to chime in. There are two motivating factors here. First, some shims feel Lo3 is not climbing the leader board fast enough. Second, some believe there should a bigger % of active shims. What change would improve both overall crowns and activity levels?

Here's what I am thinking:

#1  A little harsh on our longer standing member base.

#2  A little complicated and a %&$# to maintain consistently.

#3  Only option that is a permanent solution and should mean consistent growth.

#4  Good principle once we lose a few shims to inactivity?  Maybe combine with #3?

#5  Like the crown limit to join .. 200?  Don't think it should be too high, don't want two standards.

#6  Crown min per age is interesting but I think the right formula might be hard to work out

We're behind whatever choice you make BBQ.

DryCrown,

Thanks for helping us work through this. I agree with your comments that a few of these ideas would be hard to track and implement.I also think #1 is too hard on existing members.

I think #4 &#5 are the same thing and I think it might be cool to try a while. What if we said the 48 shims who got us where we are are safe (unless they go inactive or make Starbeast mad), then kick any new member unless they are at 1,000 crowns? I guess there aren't many 1,000 crown players looking for a home, but we want more active players. We could try a 500 crown min to join. I bet there are a lot of shims out there at 500 looking for a good Alliance. If we don't get any takers, after two weeks, we could drop the min to 400, or something like that.

Also, what is your opinion on the alt accounts? Maybe the inactive alts should go start LO5?

I think we'll end up at the same place pretty quick ...kick bottom two ... pick up two 400 crown layers and we're back to square one ... better I think to just keep kicking # 50 ... it's not really onerous to stay out of the #50 spot at what 125 crowns?  any active interested shim will be safe and it's simple and equitable ... could reevaluate once you get up to 250-300 and more active "grandfathers"

Re alt accounts I think it's okay to ship them to LO5 but think LO5 should be started with an active base too

What if we said the 48 shims who got us where we are are safe (unless they go inactive or make Starbeast mad), then kick any new member unless they are at 1,000 crowns?

Uh oh, in that case, I have a feeling my alt will get kicked. I am always at odds with Star, that jerk ;). Just kidding! LO used to have a crown minimum that slowly upped itself every week or so to attempt to bring in a higher quality, but now we are just kicking inactives and the bottom 2.

Thx

Thx for posting this for me Tech. (I volunteered to do it but I found some profile issues, so I had to create a new one today after emailing support did nothing.) My idea, which we were discussing I'm the alliance chat was to define a set of crown count minimums for each Age group. For example, Age V players should have at least x number of crowns, Age VI players should have at least y number of crowns. This way, every Age group would stand a chance. But implementing this would also mean that we will possibly have to accept lower Age players with less crowns than we would like for.

Edited by UnfadingTube14
looks like HTML text encoding doesn't work on this web framework. :( Replaced HTML tags with standard formatting

Newbie Lord chiming in:  I joined LO2 originally, but was soon booted because I dropped below the 200 minimum soon after due to Age7 curse. (I'm still a little sore about the typo on their banner at the time [<200 crown minimum.  I purposely gave up crowns to join.  It should have said >200].  They recommended I join the relatively new LO3 (I think I was # 17), and so here I am.  The leadership here assisted me greatly and I am forever grateful.

I think a coordinated policy to grow the entire LO Empire is the way.  Slowly increasing the minimums of all kingdoms in sync and putting inactivity at 7-10 days for all (one attack a week isn't asking too much).  Always adding a base LO kingdom to bring in new shims, seeding with rotating upper kingdom Lords for guidance.  Great policy there. 

I'm not a fan of booting the bottom 1-2; leads to poor morale.  I think the standard attrition should be enough to allow for membership 'churn'.

The % per week and Age minimums are interesting ideas, but overly complex and I wouldn't want to police them.

#4 is good as minimums are raised. We'd have to take those case by case for members not raising to minimums in sufficient time.  Perhaps a 'voluntold' to help with the growth of a newer LO kingdom. 

This would take a lot of coord. between the kingdoms, but it seems that is already happening.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by dnarud13

Interesting ideas, dnarud! Most of what you say is what we used to do (slowly increasing crown minimums, starting a new LO when the others were full, etc.)/ Perhaps it is time to return to our original ideas. A lot of great ideas are present in this thread. Thanks for doing all the hard thinking so the Leadership team can take credit without doing the work ;)

I was visiting LO1 last night and noticed there were a lot of shims with low crowns. If you always boot the bottom two once a week, those bottom two will fill up with first shim who sees it, within minutes. Set a club min and boot new shims if they don't make it. LO3 is currently at 150. LO1 could set it at 1,000 for new members, or 500. Just some friendly advice.

We thought it would happen naturally, no matter who is at the bottom would get the boot.  However, someone did some major house cleaning and kicked like 10 shims.... now they are all bottom two.

*cough* Blulitangel *cough* Yeah, we didn't get a favorable yield from that situation

I'd somewhat Agree with esbe ... But having lost so many high crown less than active players (so quickly)  I would say it is like so many things... a balance.

In my 1 hour reign as emperor of LO3 BBQ told me to go ahead and modify the banner. From our topic here, I upped the minimum by 50 crowns (to 150) but also changed the wording... no longer XXX crowns minimum ... but "to join XXX crowns". A subtle difference perhaps but one that (at leaderships discretion) grandfathers in the lower crown folks that are already in. 

I'd say BBQ had planned on a carefully timed  pruning of the less active higher crown players. But when StarYeast left it caused a bit of a ruckus. And like bread without yeast we stopped rising. (yep, I love StarYeast - both a slam and a compliment all at the same time!)

We will continue to rise though with Oak and Angel helping stabilize us, much appreciated gang

Edited by ThePaladinTech

How about:

7) Do not fall below XXX crowns for more than a week + booted for inactivity at our discretion (approx 10 days) 

It sets a bar. New shim on the up can join just below and climb up. New shim can fall below and know that shim has a week in which to pull shims socks up. Better for morale on the whole perhaps? Activity should always be rewarded I think.

That said, I am pragmatic on the subject of 'crown snobbery', as it is part of a natural growth and evolution. I play this as a game, not a lifestyle, so it's possible that one day LO3 may outgrow me. It is possible that the time I spend online may not be enough to keep up with the pack. LO3 as an entity should grow and prosper. We will dry out if don't encourage new tallent. We will stagnate if we're not ambitious.

If, someday, LO3 is simply more awesome than I am, then I'm happy to be bumped down to LO4 where I'll contribute just as happily. That said, I'll want to stay as high up the chain as possible, because in the weeks when I do play more than usual, that is where I will get the most advice and learn more quickly.

LO3 seems just about right for me at the moment, but LO3 should also continue to evolve in it's own right, so I don't wholly back the 'grandfather' initiative. It is well intentioned and generous, but I think it might cloud the issue.